Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Do I have to be a UNLV student or graduate to be able to join?
- Due to newly updated rules and regulations students should be from UNLV's main campus in order to join UNLV PDS. Students outside of NSHE institutions may be permitted to attend events and explore the option of dentistry as a career choice but cannot attend clinics at the UNLV SDM.
- The membership fee for the 2019-2020 school year is $40 for new members and $35 for returning members. It is valid from Fall 2019 until Summer 2020 (August 2019-August 2020), regardless of when the initial payment was made. The fee for new members joining in the Spring is $20
- UNLV Pre-Dental Society helps its members build a competitive profile for dental school application by giving them opportunities for clinical dentistry experience, community service, and research experience. We also offer monthly dental assisting classes to our members at no additional cost. Click here for more information.
- Payments by cash or Venmo can be made by special arrangement.
- Except for regular meetings, all events hosted by UNLV Pre-Dental Society requires completion of OSHA training in Bloodborne Pathogens, Radiation Safety, Hazard Communication, and HIPAA. Click here to complete your OSHA training.
- Yes. OSHA certifications are only valid until August of every year, regardless of which month they have been completed in the previous year. OSHA training needs to be completed and OSHA certifications need to be turned in on an annual basis.
- Documented immunizations on MMR1, MMR2, Tetanus, and 3 series of Hepatitis B are required ONLY to be able to assist during Saturday Children's and Veterans' Clinics.
- If any of the required immunizations are not completed, the member will only be allowed to shadow during Saturday Clinics. The member may, however, participate in all other events provided that he has completed all the required OSHA trainings.
- Hard copies of OSHA certifications and immunization records may be turned in to any officer during events.
- We will no longer accept immunization records and OSHA certificates turned in via email.
- No. While we are directly affiliated with UNLV School of Dental Medicine, we help our members become competitive for admission to every dental school possible. In fact, we host admission presentations of dental schools other than UNLV. In the past year, we hosted admission presentations from Loma Linda University, Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (ASDOH), Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health (MOSDOH), and University of the Pacific. We expect to host more dental schools in the upcoming years.